Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You Say You'd Like a Nose Job...

...Well, you may want to think twice.

Now, I didn't get a nose job. I had my deviated septum and right sinus repaired. However, I'm imagining a nose job doesn't feel much different than what I had done.

Flash back to last Monday. The doctor is asking me if I have any questions before I get put under and she begins. Nope. Nada. Piece of cake. I'm nervous - but, really, how bad can the pain be and how long can it really take to heal? I practically run to the OR where I welcome the rush of drugs that instantly make me feel sleepy. I nod off thinking that the girls won't get in the way of my nap today!

I wake up a couple hours later. I'm groggy and wondering what the heck is under my nose. A jerry-rigged face mask holding the gauze in place. Huh. Well, I can handle this for a few more hours. No, wait. Is the nurse telling me I must wear it for two days? Yeah, right!

A couple hours later, I'm home and I've pulled off the mask and gauze. I'm on the phone with my friend, Laura, who's husband had the procedure done recently. We chit chat a bit. She's silently wondering how I'm holding up so well. Her husband had taken a week off of work and barely functioned the whole time.

A few hours later, the pain starts to kick in. Lila is in bed for the night - so I pop a Vicodin. That takes about an hour to kick in and lasts all of twenty-minutes. Okay, I hear of celebrities getting addicted to this stuff all the time. How? It's useless.

By Tuesday morning, I'm getting nervous because Matt's aunt and uncle arrive in the afternoon and I realize that there's no way I'll be able to go out to dinner with them, let alone cater to them at all. I cancel our sitter. I have a bloody nose that won't stop and I feel like I want to die. I've called the doctor and she's informed me that the second day is the worst and whatever I'm going through is normal. She also reminds me that I can't lift anything more than 5-10lbs for the next two weeks. Oh, my gosh! My kids. What will I do?

At this point, Matt and I are wishing that I hadn't gotten it done. Was it really necessary? I start to wonder...and I worry that I've ruined his aunt and uncle's visit to Fairbanks - at least they have plans to explore more of Alaska without us. However, I still feel horrible about the timing.

It's a week later and I've gotten the splints out of my nose (for those of you who don't know - they are huge) and I'm starting to feel better. The doctor informed me that the surgery was, indeed, necessary. In fact, my right sinus wasn't working at all. She thinks I'll be feeling a lot better and will notice a huge difference soon. Soon as in four weeks from now!

So, for those you contemplating a nose job, think twice. I'm not so sure it's worth the pain and misery!

On a side note - Lila started eating Cherrios this week. Like most eight-month-olds, she loves them! She also had her first swimming lesson today. Surprisingly, she really liked the water and even attempted to blow bubbles (she doesn't like the bath). She got a little cold - but, overall, she did really well for a first timer.

Mmm, mmm Cherrios

1 comment:

Annette said...

Wow - what a mess! Hopefully you will see tremendous improvement, though, once you're through the worst of it.