So, here's what's been going on:
- We bought a house. We move in today. It's about 10-minutes from post and many military families live in the same development. It's not my dream house, but, we look forward to making it our own, starting gardens, composting, and more.
- I have found several farmer's markets. Fresh, local eggs, lamb, beef, chicken, bison, produce, honey, cheeses, etc.
- We have already spent time in the following nearby towns: Kansas City, KS, Lawrence, KS, Overland Park, KS, Brookside, MO and Kansas City, MO. I think I like Brookside the best. With a nice, organic farmer's market on Saturday's and a great children's bookstore across the street, and a Burlington, VT kind of feel, I envision spending a good amount of time there.
- I have already found two, possibly, three babysitters. Thank goodness for a well-known Alaska family, with a teenage daughter, living here and the daughter recommending her best friends when she wasn't available.
- I found a gym, about 1-2 miles from our home, for $30/mo. plus $12/mo. for childcare. I can't wait to get back to the gym. I'm feeling so out of shape and need to shed a few PCS (move) pounds!
- We are searching for a preschool for Olivia and I am quite frustrated. I finally found one with some sort of a language program and it's a bit expensive. It'll mean cutting out a few things (mostly, eating out). The search will continue through next week, before having to decide as school starts on 17August.
- My Meniere's has flared up a bit - I'm pretty sure it's from the stress of moving. I have a hiss in my right ear (think, snake). However, I'll take the hiss over the vacuum cleaner-at-full-blast noise I had a few months ago (In early June, I went into somewhat of a remission - with only very mild ringing in both ears - only noticeable at night in complete quiet). However, the pressure and mild pain in both my ears is enough to drive me insane. I'm hoping this is short lived and I go back to being mostly symptom free soon. Regardless, I'm trying to be positive and not think too much about it (And, I am very very grateful that I have have not, as of this writing, had any problems with dizziness). As with any illness, the more you dwell on it, the worse you feel!
- I'm a bit stressed about decorating the house. We're trying to keep costs down and I'm just trying to focus on paint and window treatments for now. Working on one room at a time so as not to get too stressed and run down (I think stress, lack of sleep, and barometric pressure changes are my Meniere's "triggers.").
- Our street is brand spanking new and there isn't a cable Internet or DSL line in yet. Therefore, for the next month or two, we will be switching to dial-up Internet until cable and/or DSL comes to the street. Yikes. This will be tough. But, it's all we can do, aside from paying an arm and a leg for a satellite type service that, for the high cost and fairly slow connection, isn't worth getting into a two-year-contract.
That's it for now! The movers have arrived back at the house and I have to check out of this hotel! Depending on how slow or fast our dial-up is, it may (or may not) be a while before I update the blog again...Have a great final weeks of summer. For those of you in Vermont: I'm sending summer vibes your way!