Thursday, September 3, 2009

Apple Honey Crisp

I have a couple of other things I could post about. But, I just had to post this recipe.

Most of you know that I am trying to cut out refined sugar. I rarely use it now (it's reserved for a very occasional batch of chocolate chip cookies and few cake recipes). With Fall rapidly approaching (apple picking season!!), I was wondering how I could make crisp without using brown sugar in my crisp batter. Then, I stumbled upon this recipe, tried it out and the whole family fell in love (Well, except Olivia who doesn't really have too much of a sweet tooth - aside from ice cream and, of course, anything with maple syrup on it).

Apple Honey Crisp

2 lbs. apples, quartered and sliced
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup honey (separated)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened

Toss apples with 1/2 cup honey, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl. Turn out apples into 2-quart baking dish. For topping, beat flour with butter and 1/4 cup honey until crumbly; sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve with homemade whipped cream (sweetened with honey and nutmeg).

Note: My crisp was juicy - which was fine with us (the dough wasn't juicy, the apples were sitting in a lot of juice). However, you could probably leave your sweetened and seasoned apples out a bit in order to let juices accumulate on the bottom of the bowl. Then strain out the juice before turning your apples into the baking dish. This may help those of you who do not want juicy crisp!

Enjoy! Oh, and feel free to pass on your refined sugar-free recipes!!

No comments: