Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Crockpot Chicken and Quinoa

I had to post this because we all really liked this dish and it's EASY!! My girls adore rice dishes (as does my husband) and quinoa has a similar consistency. Quinoa is packed with protein, essential amino acids and fiber.

Word of caution to parents of younger children: Olivia didn't like the onions. So, next time, I may have to saute some onions on the side (because I LOVE onions) and use onion powder instead.

Crockpot Chicken and Quinoa

1 cup quinoa (soaked overnight in water, than drained and rinsed in a strainer. If you don’t soak your grains still rinse to remove a bitter substance from the grain)
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2-3/4 cup of white wine
2 cups of water
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon of salt
4-6 carrots, peeled and cubed
3 celery, sliced
1 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
2 chicken breasts or thighs
3 Tablespoons of butter (opt, for added richness and flavor)

Throw all the ingredients in your crockpot, cook on high, 4 hours or on low, 8. Shred the chicken when done, and stir into the stew and you are done! How simple is that?

My adaptions: I used four cups of chicken broth (did not use water or wine) and that seemed to work fine. I also used left-over cooked and shredded chicken and added it during the last hour of cooking.

This recipe comes from here.

No comments: