Monday, October 26, 2009

Scented Homemade Playdough


A few days ago, I saw an ad for natural, aromatherapy playdough. I nearly ordered some. Then, I thought it best to save that $28 and make some!

I had some new, natural food coloring (found at King Arthur Flour here) that I thought I'd try out. I don't have a big supply of scents right now. I only had peppermint oil and vanilla extract. Using the following recipe, the girls and I made some vanilla-peppermint pink and purple playdough.

This is a GREAT homemade gift idea. Hope you enjoy making it and playing with it as much as the girls and I did!

Cooked Playdough (flour and salt)

3 cups flour
1.5 cups salt
6 tsp cream of tarter
3 tbsp oil
3 cups water
Extracts or essential oils of your choice
Food Coloring

Dissolve salt in the water (this is where I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract and several drops of peppermint oil - for several different scents, knead extracts and/or oils of your choice in when you knead in food coloring). Pour all ingredients into a large pot. Stir constantly over medium heat until a ball forms by pulling away from the sides.

Separate dough into a few even amounts and knead in a few drops of food coloring until the dough mixture matches playdough (1-2 minutes)

Store in plastic containers. Should last for at least 3 months.

2 comments:

The Matthaidess' said...

Thanks for the recipe! I wanted to make Tate some play dough this weekend, but we were unable to find food coloring, which is kind of strange that the store we were in didn't carry it. I'm sure that if I would've made it, Tate would've wanted to eat it, but at least it would be fun watching him smash the dough with his hands:-)

Katie said...

SOOOOOO cool!! I will have to try it!