Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Miss This

I miss Olivia talking to her friends, her babysitter and her dolls in Portuguese. I think the gift of language is so important and it's saddened me that I couldn't find a reasonably priced language immersion program in our town (actually, there is nothing in this town). Olivia still understands much of the Portuguese Matt and I use (which isn't much, honestly). However, often she'll say, "My Portuguese didn't come with me!"

If any of you reading fluently speak a foreign language, speak it to your kids! My wish, when we move this summer, is that I'll find more foreign language opportunities for our girls!

3 comments:

Angie said...

We are trying to buy a house in a specific district just based on the HOPE that Ashlyn will get into the language immersion elementary school. The biggest problem is that another district has MUCH better houses for the money. It is so frustrating. Ashlyn has forgotten almost all of her German, so sad. Every once in awhile she'll throw something out there. If she gets into the school, I hope to learn with her (Spanish, not German.)

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

It is a great gift to expose your children to other languages. If you aren't able to find something find comfort in the fact that she has had exposure during the critical period of language development. Because of this, she will have an easier time mapping other languages in the future. I know you want to give her more... As I do my children, but you HAVE already given her so much. Good luck.

The Matthaidess' said...

Cute video! I hope to enroll Tate is a language course one day.