Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"I'm Portuguese"



Olivia likes to tell us that she is now Portuguese. She has become quite an affectionate child with her school friends, much like they are with each other, and in a way unlike most American kids (hugging, holding hands, kissing on cheeks and often, lips). I'm sure this will wear off in time as we settle back in the States next month.

My sister, Andrea, reminded me to get some "evidence" of Olivia speaking Portuguese. So, here is a video of Olivia conversing with her babysitter, Maria (Don't ask me what she's wearing. It's clearly one of her apparel creations). They are discussing grandma, grandpa and Aunt Andy. In the end, she asks for more food and tells Maria she is going to get a chair for her baby. She's really cute in the beginning because she thought I was taking pictures and not video. Enjoy.

8 comments:

Amie said...

Oh my gosh that is so freaking cute! Its crazy how natural it is for her to speak another language. I'm so jealous. I wish you luck in finding her a Spanish or Portugese tutor back here in the states.

VermontMommy said...

How wonderful. Glad you got it on tape. I need to do that more often (even with my english speaking children). :)

The Dunns said...

How cute!

Kiera and Joe said...

I am so impressed! That is just amazing! Super cute!! My cousin speaks Portuguese...I will have to ask him to translate for me :)

Laura DeGraff said...

Wow, that's amazing how well she's picked up Portugese! You should get some more videos of her speaking with the babysitter before your leave! I really hope you can find a way for her to continue speaking another language once you get to Kansas. It would be such a shame for her to lose that ability.

Deb said...

I agree with the others; she is wicked cute. Very articulate for her age. I am very impressed Natalie. Now if only you could learn it as well!

The Matthaidess' said...

That was so cute! Tate was so mesmorized by it!

wesleysmom said...

wow--I only wish that Wesley and Nathan could speak Korean like she speaks and understands Portuguese. I really need to speak more, but mine sucks so it will be off to weekend Korean school for them!