Saturday, April 10, 2010

Notes From a Recovering Junk Food Eater

As my family and I ate our picnic lunch of a variety of homemade goodies (at the zoo today), it dawned on me that it wasn't too long ago that I would have purposely not packed a lunch. I would do this because, come hell or high water, I was going to get me some of that park food. I craved it. My mind would conjure up the smell of fries long before we arrived and I'd be salivating all the way to the nearest snack bar upon arrival. I would do the same thing on road trips. Pack a lunch? Heck no! Drive-thrus and diners, here we come!

Today, Olivia and Lila didn't even ask to get food at the Zoo, though we passed several food "joints." They munched on popcorn (sweetened with Vermont maple syrup - yum), banana bread and cucumbers I had brought and washed it down with water from their water bottles. I didn't crave any of the food I knew the Zoo snack bars were serving. I thought, "Wow, I've come a long way. I've completely changed my life and, in turn, the life my children would have had had I stuck with the S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet)."

It was a moment that found me choked up. I was a stubborn junk food eater with a family history of obestity-related disease. I know that my family is on the sure path to change that. I am proud!

Someone recently told me that I shouldn't deny myself junk food every now and then. For one, I can make junk food at home (but, without the trans fats and HFCS, of course). For two, I'm not denying myself a thing because I don't even crave it!

For all of you watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, Food Inc., or reading Micheal Pollan's books and finding changing the way you feed your family daunting, I say this: You can do it. You will find your way. There will come a day when you won't even want to waste your money on a chain like Crapplebees. You'll either decide to bring your own, eat at home or seek out a farm-to-table restuarant (serving local produce and grass-fed meats, and usually coming up with creative, delicious meals very different than the generic meals served at most chain restuarants).

It's a great journey. Take it!

1 comment:

The Matthaidess' said...

Hmmmm....Popcorn sweetened with maple syrup? Is that kind of like caramel popcorn? If so, you'll have to send the recipe my way.

As far as homecooking I do prefer it over fast food chains as well. There's nothing like homecooking:-)