Saturday, May 14, 2011

Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread

It's rhubarb season!  When I was a child, my aunt, who lived next door to us, grew rhubarb.  My sisters and I would grab sticks of it and dip it in sugar and eat it raw. Sweet and sour. Yum. My mouth salivates just thinking about it.  I've been seeing it everywhere around here. Stands on the side of the road, markets, grocery stores.  I had to make something with it!  Sorry I don't have any pictures; my entire family gobbled it right up. I'll be making more tomorrow.

So, I found a recipe online here and adapted it. My adapted recipe is as follows:

Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread

Ingredients:

3/4 cup rapadura or sucanat
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (any oil will do - I only bake with organic coconut oil or butter)
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole spelt flour, or flour of your liking (I used whole spelt)
2/3 cup diced rhubarb
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)

Directions:
  1. Mix all bread ingredients in a large mixing bowl
  2. Generously grease a bread pan. You can also line the pan with parchment paper for even easier removal once baked.
  3. Pour the batter into the pan
  4. Bake at 325F (160C) for 55-65 minutes or until it tests done.
  5. Allow to cool before tipping out of pan.
Since I used whole spelt, it was a bit crumbly, however, not dry at all. Actually, pretty moist.  You could use a portion of white spelt or all-purpose flour and that may help with the crumbles - but, my family didn't mind. Not even my picky Matt. The original recipe calls for a topping - I don't like adding any more sugar than necessary - so most often I leave toppings off.

No comments: