Sunday, June 10, 2012

Amsterdam

I read Anne Frank's, The Diary of a Young Girl when I was 12 or 13.  I still remember how vivid her story played out in my mind. She was such a talented young writer, so much promise.  I dreamed that someday I would be able to visit the secret annex where she, her family and friends hid during WWII. In April, my dream came true.
The line to tour Anne Frank's house was quite long. Eventually, an employee took pity on us and allowed us to go to the front of the line. Matt had read the story to the girls (a children's version) and they were enthralled. They especially liked the secret door (sorry, no pictures allowed).
After the tour, we picked up various versions of her diary including, Anne Frank TageBuch - The German translation of the book. Olivia is slowly working her way through reading it.  The one "problem" we had is that she eagerly went to school, exclaiming to her classmates (Who are German, remember) that she toured the Anne Frank House.  German children, I'm told, do not learn of her history until they are 12 or 13.  Her teacher told her she was a bit young to learn of her story - that it was too sad and tragic. We had told Olivia not to mention her visit to her teachers and classmates and explained why. Of course, she's Olivia. So, she did not listen.
Bikes and Canals

After our Anne Frank House visit and purchases, we walked a very short distance to The Pancake Bakery and enjoyed Poffertjes and Pannekoek. Two different versions of Dutch Pancakes. The girls and I had sweet, Matt had savory. I fell in love with pofferjes and will now be on the look out for a cast iron poferjes pan.
Many of the apartments had bike ramps (see bottom left).

City of Bikes and Canals
I would love to go back to Holland. There is still so much for us to see!  Hopefully, we'll have the time to make another trip back before our European Tour ends.

1 comment:

Angie said...

We loved Amsterdam, too. Loved the Van Gogh museum.