Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Jose Maria Da Fonseca Winery

I took my father and my friend, Ana, to a winery on the Península de Setúbal. For months, I've been dying to tour local wineries. Finally! My first one (aside from Port wine in Porto).


Jose Maria Da Fonseca, a 100% family owned winery (6th generation), produces 33 brands of table and fortified wines. A few wines are easily found in America. A rose, sparkling, and white wine, sold under the name Lancers and a red wine, Periquita (first vintage: 1850).


200-year-old Mohogany casks - still in use


Ana and I were interested in the very popular (here) Moscatel de Setubal. It's a fortified wine served as an appertif or as dessert wine and after our wine tasting, we each picked up a Private collection bottle of Moscatel to bring home. It's so good! The bottle of Moscatel I bought was fortified with a particular brandy (the name escapes me) that I think makes the Moscatel taste wonderful. Therefore, I find this Moscatel better than most others that I have tried and I can't wait for a special occasion to share it with friends and/or family.

My father doesn't really like sweet wines, therefore, he really enjoyed the Periquita red wine (I'm a red wine drinker and I liked Periquita, but I have few other favorite Portuguese red wines that I enjoy a bit more than the Periquita) and will probably look for it back in the States.

I'm looking forward to visiting more wineries. There are a couple of wine routes I'm interested in seeking out and I'll be sure to post about them as I do

If you are able to find the Lancers and Periquita, please try them as they are very decent (not the best Portuguese wines, in my opinion, but very drinkable and easy on the palate) Portuguese wines and will give you a small taste of what Portugal has to offer. The Moscatel may be harder to find - but, well worth it if you do!

2 comments:

The Dunns said...

Yum! That Moscatel sounds great. I prefer sweet wines, like Reisling and Port. So, I think that might be one I like. I have not developed a taste for dry wines. Don't like the tannens. I'll write that down and look for it.

The Matthaidess' said...

The winery looks like a lot of fun. Ed and I will have to try some of the wines that you suggest. I'm always looking for something new.

Also, this is just a comment in relationship to the one you left on my blog...

You should be able to find some local markets in Kansas. I know that Kansas City has a really nice market. If you want the name, I can try to look it up once Ed and I get back from WI.

Kellie